Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:43:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vortex 2 Team & the TIV2

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vortex 2 Team & the TIV2  (Read 380 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2009, 05:38:00 pm »

TIV 2 Taken as we passed it ion the interstate near Ardmore TX.  Near the end of the tour we came across the Vortex 2 team (some of it) at Wakita Oklahoma. The team member crouched down with the yellow  tornado Pod is he famous chaser Herb Stein. I assume the yellow pods are dropped into the path of the tornado.The other member featured is  Tim Marshall tornado damage assessor.. I've just seen that this project is $10 million not $1 as I thought. They are operating for 5 weeks but since they started May 11th. they haven't had much luck.

http://www.vortex2.org/home/

http://www.vortex2.org/instruments/

http://nl.tinypic.com/?t=postupload

Tim Marshall.

Herb Stein

Tornado Pod,placed in path of tornado.

Leaving town.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »

Brilliant images John  Smiley, that documents the TIV 2 encounter very well. I recognise Herb from the programme that was on here in the UK about storm chasers, I heard he's an extremely experienced guy!. Nice job with those images and thanks again for sharing them with us.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:12:28 am »

Cheers,martin. They're having a lean tim e of it,all that money and few tornadic storms to get to. They will stay mainly in the TX OK KS  as it takes a lot of organising/cost getting all the vehicles and staff further east which is where we almost saw the Kirksville tornadoes.I noticed on the Weather Channel on one occasion the spokesman said they'd driven to where-ever, not too far and that as 'gas' had dropped in price then it didn't cost too much- they are sensitive that's it's tax payers dollars which I thought could be their undoing if that is taken into consideration re. travelling to potential tornadoes.             

The person in front of the Doppler is not me  btw but one of the participants (US) who asked us all to take his photo as and when lol..Gives it perspective though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum