Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:48:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Image Report from May 21st

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Image Report from May 21st  (Read 433 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2009, 01:08:44 pm »

Here's a two page report on my site I have just uploaded detailing a funnel cloud/poss waterspout I observed under difficult conditions over Lough Neagh from Ballyronan Marina on May 21st. Also some nice bows and sunset convective clouds.

Page 1

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Funnel%20Cloud%20Lough%20Neagh%20May%2021st%2009%20-%20Page%201.html

Page 2

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Funnel%20Cloud%20Lough%20Neagh%20May%2021st%2009%20-%20Page%202.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 03:37:27 pm »

Great weather report Martin, I enjoyed reading. And the rainbow images are stunning, especially the last one on page 1!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:42:55 pm »

Thanks very much Roman.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:20:50 am »

Wow some stunning shots there Martin and a very detailed report (must have taken ages to write up and upload)!

You have some very dramatic looking skies at your location (reminds me alot of the type of sky that I used to be greeted with on my many trips to the Highlands in the 1990's). Your comment about thunderstorms breaking out all over touched a raw nerve as my forecast for Oxford for the day just gone promised thunderstorms. Alas, they failed to materialise. At the moment there is just some dreary looking drizzle out there.

Anyway, great write up. Thanks for posting.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:52:50 pm »

Thanks very much Andy, I'm glad you enjoyed the report. Yes it took a while to write up, that's the most annoying thing about reports, how does one start and end etc. It's good to put some flesh on the bones though and explain each image for readers who may or may not understand what's going on.

The thunderstorms breaking out part was in ref to N. Ireland only although I know storms were promised yesterday for S Britain. Those storms formed over France, as a cluster of mesoscale convective systems (MCS) and produced lightning at over 100 strikes per min through the day and night, the anvils were larger than Ireland on each of them. Unfortunately the models didn't handle the synoptics very well so instead of moving up over Britain, they crossed the Channel and veered to the east over the Ocean, which was unfortunate because they were absolutely incredible storms, having said that, booming thunder was heard from the UK coast. There's always next time, with high pressure building and hot temps over the weekend there's always the chance of a thundery break down later in the period.

Thanks again Andy for your comments, very much appreciated. I reported the funnel to TORRO.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:01:35 pm »

Here's the IR sat image of those storms last night. They went all through the night producing constant lightning. They may have been supercells. Britain missed out on some serious action.

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:09 pm »

Andy, here's the lightning plots from those storms!. Imagine that had moved further N  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum