Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 09:39:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Funnel Cloud - Maghera August 2nd 2008

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Funnel Cloud - Maghera August 2nd 2008  (Read 1152 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:04:22 pm »

I have just seen and photographed quite a substantial funnel cloud from Maghera in the my eastern sky from the underside of a large cell. Funnel was black and reached half way to the ground when I noticed it. Got some images as it rose up again. Visible for 5 min's or so. It will take a while for me to upload the images as I have took about 200 other images and video clips of other convection today. Believe it or not I seen it from my bedroom...after being out for hours all day looking for one! Time, just before 19.00 BST.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:12:02 pm »

Isn't that just always the way? Looking forward to seeing those pictures Martin!

P.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:49 pm »

Thanks Paul. I have so many images and video to sort out from the last few days that it scares me to think about it.

I also have images of a monster cell from August first which I believe had a large Meso - persistant rapidly rotating updraught - like a supercell.
Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:10:20 pm »

Thats great Martin, you have some photos to get through!!! look forward to seeing them...
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:07:52 pm »

OK, here are a few of the many images I got at short notice. I had spent hours in the countryside imaging the convection. Today (and August 1st) produced the best storm clouds I have seen in N. Ireland this year. During the afternoon it was evident that the cells looked ripe for dropping funnels or even a tornado. I seen several significant areas of rotation many times during the session. After 17.00 I called it a day and went home assuming that the prime heating time of the day had passed and anything else during the late evening would be outflow dominant. Just before 19.00 BST I logged onto the UKWW and seen Tony Gilbert's convective outlook. I noticed the box where tornadoes would be possible. I spun around on my computer chair and glanced out my bedroom window for a quick check on the sky. There was a large black funnel hanging down from a group of distant multicells!. It was half way to the ground!. I had the camera beside me, swung open the window, got to work on the zoom, focus, and began shooting. The funnel retracted by the time I was ready but held steady at a decent length for about 5 min's. It was extremely well defined with rapid rotation visible with the naked eye even at that distance. It was quite a sight I can tell you!. It's worth noting that this very well could have been on the ground before I noticed it. Hope you like the images.

Here's a very short youtube video clip showing the funnel at it's least spectacular phase before full retraction.

The image below was taken as the funnel was retracting into the cell base.

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 01:15:45 am »

Here are a few images of the cells around just after the funnel. The funnel came from the cell in pic 3 but at this stage the cell was futher away.

Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:12:35 am »

That's a fine catch Martin, well done!

How about this one? Funnel or just Virga? Whatever it was this was the tail end of it as it dissipated pretty rapidly afterwards...

Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:16:40 am »

How about this one? Funnel or just Virga?
Hard for a non-expert like me to tell.

What about the two "UFOs" on the horizon just to the right of it?

Edit: I'm not for one minute suggesting that they might be flying saucers ... but they appear to be flying and they are, so far as I'm concerned, unidentified. Ball lightning?Huh?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:18:14 am by brianb » Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 08:56:54 am »

Ah, I hadn't got around to mentioning the UFO attack!

Unfortunately the shot was taken through a double glazed window and it's just a reflection of some internal light, probably the "on" light of my PC which is blue.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:10:22 am »

Martin, is that an another funnel cloud?! What a wonderful stormy weather you have overthere in N Ireland! Shocked

Paul, I can see on that image not only those two bright "UFOs", but also an another one, much fainter, on the mountain top. The fact that you've taken the photo through a window, explains everything
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:36:24 am »

Thanks Paul and Roman.

Very nice image Paul. I'm pretty sure that's not a funnel. Looks like scud, if you look into the distance you will see the same lowering under the more distance cells. When it's the real thing you will know in an instant. They tend to be very substantial with smooth edges (not all the time though) and rotate anit-clockwise rapidly. I'm sure that not only will you catch one, but that it may even be a waterspout!. Keep your eyes peeled.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Great shots Martin! looks like you had a good day...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 02:08:31 pm »

Just to add, that lowering is in the correct area where a funnel can form IF the big structure on the image is moving from R to L. The main precipitation area is to the L. This the outflow/downdraught area where cool air and rain blow out. To the r of the rain is the 'rain free base'. That's the inflow/updraught area where warm moist  air is be sucked into the cell to feed it. That's the place to be looking for funnels/tornadoes. I have feeling you are going to catch a waterspout some of these days Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 04:38:26 pm »

Great shots Martin, well done on the Funnel, two in two days that's fantastic!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
dogstar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:20:54 pm »

Martin I'm begining to think these funnels are following you around Grin seriously though these are great captures well done and great work.
Report Spam   Logged

Declan McCormack
http://webtreatz.com/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum