Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:59:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Potential Ireland/NI Sat-Thurs May 16th-21st

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Potential Ireland/NI Sat-Thurs May 16th-21st  (Read 2339 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 01:38:31 pm »

Just had a messy gust front pass through here delivering an intense hail storm around 12.30, lasted about 10 min's. Nasty one!

Convection is not great by any means though. Anvils are mushy with little energy at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 03:38:45 pm »

Thanks guy's!

I had something similar here Martin but didn't even take a shot of it, it was hopeless! There's nothing special here so far.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 04:19:15 pm »

I took some video of it but that was the best thing I've seen today. It's hopeless here too, cells are too weak, anvils are wispy, there's a cap stopping vertical development and there's not enough solar heating. The odd rumble can't be ruled out, nor could a funnel, but I think it's a no show for most today, very disappointing. There was lightning near the NE coast earlier though...nothing since. Bust forecast!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:07 pm »

Spoke to soon, John's got thunder/lightning at Maghaberry.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 04:41:13 pm »

Yea, just a couple of good flashes with the thunder almost at once, quite good hail as well, it's moving east at the minute towards Belfast.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 05:02:02 pm »

Thanks for the text John, I can see that storm on the radar, it had a red core.

Really dark clouds here, gust fronts with turbulent motions, showers falling from them but they are not intense enough for thunder.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 06:41:32 pm »

Some great shots here - I didn't get any photos yesterday as I was rushing around from one meeting to another, one of which was during a particularly good thunderstorm in Glengormley. Made up for it today with a trip to the Loughshore in Antrim at lunchtime - this panorama taken approx 1245 looking NW, so Martin, this is probably your hailstorm I'm looking at here!

http://paulni.co.uk/images/loughshorepan090521.jpg

Zoom in, pan across....
Report Spam   Logged

stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »

That is one great shot! That thunderstorm you mentioned yesterday in Glengormley was great. I managed to follow a decent anvil towards Larne this afternoon. No lightning but alot of hail and a couple of pics that I will post up shortly.
Report Spam   Logged
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2009, 09:59:41 pm »

didnt get much action over belfast today, back in lisburn at the minute and can see a lovely cb, quite a bit in the distance but could still see it bubbling up into a nice anvil which is surprising for this time of the evening! wouldnt be surprised if there was a spark or 2 from it!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2009, 10:44:14 pm »

That's a beauty Paul and very nice structure too!. Thanks for sharing that one.

Seen some spectacular scenes this evening. I thought the convective activity would have died by this time..but not so!. From Maghera there where stunning updraught towers over the Sperrins of huge size and solid structure. These put me on the alert. My Mum and I decided to go to Ballyronan Marina on the NW shore of Lough Neagh to take our Dog out for a walk. As we arrived we could see a nasty looking cell which had crossed the Lough and was now nearing the E shore with precip falling below. The rear of this cell had nice structure but with messy scud and cu rags/inflow cu. Some time after 20.00 BST both of us observed what looked to be a beefy funnel cloud which was hiding within the scudy mess. It was thick, tubular like a bloated worm with a nice bend downwards towards the Lough, it lasted for about 5 min's then retreated into the clouds again. I have images which I have yet to take off the camera but they are extremely poor because they were hand held with a zoom lens in dark conditions. So focus issues etc will kill the images some what.

After this we could see great convective updraughts catching the low light of the Sun with a fantastic primary and secondary rainbow against the flanks of intense coloured clouds reflecting on the water. On the way home after 21.00 there was a huge cell which dominated the sky. The belly of this thing was black with precip curtains, but below it was a huge solid black wedge reaching down to the ground. It looked like a huge tornado, our view was obstructed by houses and trees while on the road but eventually we pulled up when we got a clear spot. It turned out to be a large updraught tower at the flank of the cell, possibly even with a wall cloud, but I can tell you, that was the most frightening looking sight I have ever seen to date!!!. I thought I was in the US for a time, I'm sure everyone on the road saw that too and were amazed. So, if any tornado reports come in from NI this evening from members of the public then you know it wasn't a vortex, or at least it wasn't on the ground when I seen it. Have some images and video taken under poor conds which don't do justice to the scene at all. What an evening of stunning and scary clouds, mother nature was really showing off!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum