Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:16:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Potential Ireland/NI Sat-Thurs May 16th-21st

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Potential Ireland/NI Sat-Thurs May 16th-21st  (Read 2340 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2009, 07:54:40 pm »

Everything seemed so good here today, plenty of warm sunshine which got the convection going during the afternoon. Lots of very black clouds around, forming a shelf-type structure with an obvious area of rotating scud, funnel clouds seemed possible several times despite the lack of wind shear. This was followed by sharp showers and plenty of congestus, several cbs, some mammatus and even whale's mouth type structure not associated with a shelf. By the the late afternoon it was show over, just grey outflowy cloud and drizzle. A real let down. The salt was rubbed in the wound when I retured home and seen the t-storms which formed below Lough Neagh again. I heard reports of thunder/lightning, torrential rain and flooding. Everything seemed to miss here again. The highlight though was a monster cell I spotted at 17.00 on the S horizon to the E of Slieve Gallion with a huge solid white anvil, it looked to be doing the business!!, impressive beast. Round 3 on Wed.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum