Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 09:21:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Severe Weather In france!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe Weather In france!  (Read 430 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:42:35 pm »

Look at the anvil on this Supercell, what a beast!. The animated Sat 24 clip is worth seeing. The anvil on that supercell just exploded in size at awesome speed. ESTOFEX have a level 2 forecast out for 5cm hail and tornadoes. Will be interesting to see what happens from this.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:59 am »

Just seen it on estofex aswell, im sure there would be some action going on underneath that thing! how wide do u reckon it would be?
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:25:25 pm »

That anvil alone is at least the size of N. Ireland, maybe bigger. There's another clump above it which may be a Mesoscale Convective System (MCS). There where 7 Supercells over France that day. I seen some of the images which are very cool.

Here are the images...

http://www.infoclimat.fr/multimedia/photolive.php?start=0&d=&auteur=&motcle=&dept=&region=&ord=
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:30:37 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:53:33 pm »

those images are fantastic! cant get over the fact of that anvil being the size of northern ireland!! As far as my images go from the other day, they were non existent, too blurry with the wind and the rain getting on the lens and i think the water has got inside the camera aswell, cant get it to switch on  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »

I had that water problem too last year when imaging a thunderstorm, camera stopped working. I took the card and batts out then wrapped it in a towel and set it near the hot press over night. The next day it was working fine. Worth a try.

Speaking of anvil sizes, last year there was a risk of severe t-storms in Ireland. Two large storms formed to the W and E spine of Ireland and began moving N. They produced lightning and flooding (with a tornado risk) for hours but when they crossed the border the sparks stopped. The anvil on the E storm was the entire length of Ireland. A friend and I could see some of it from Glen Shane at dusk and the mammatus could be seen through the windscreen overhead. Maybe something like that will appear this year again and produce the sparks  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:15:34 pm »

I have seen the photos... impressive.
BTW, southern Germany is experiencing some sever weather too...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum