Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 11:14:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

All washed up!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All washed up!  (Read 481 times)
rjgjr
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:43:21 pm »

Something interesting that ocurred earlier this week on a local beach in town. This 36' sailboat out of Portland, OR was heading south to San Francisco when they encountered stormy weather and had engine problems. Instead of calling the U.S. Coast Guard, they anchored and tried to fix things for themselves. Didn't happen. High tide and a storm surge deposited them on the beach. They've hired a salvage company to somehow get them back to a friendlier and wetter location, whenever that me be.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »

Lovely shots, I especially like the first one.
Guess they should've called the CG, might've been in SF by now Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:22:50 pm »

Great shots Richard - great depth of field - f16? Tell you what, that beach looks very like the one in the famous video where the Oregon Road Service (don't ask me why!) dealt with a beached whale by blowing it up with dynamite - it was one of the first videos I ever saw on the Internet circa 1997 and it took hours to download!

Thanks for sharing.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 08:30:48 pm »

And for those who wonder what I'm on about - of course it's on YouTube Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 03:21:41 am »

Thanks for the video Paul, I had never seen or heard of that one. The video  said this happened near Florence which is about 125 miles north of us, but most of the flat sandy beaches look the same. Leave it to ODOT to try something like that, of course it was 39 years ago. Can you imagine the controversy if they tried something like that now? We have a lot of seals wash up on the beaches here and they hire the local fishing or crab boats to winch them back out to sea and hope they sink. They have had some smaller whales they have done the same with. Thanks again.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:28:15 pm »

I really like these images Richard, 1st and 3rd have great depth. I like the low camera angle.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:13:54 pm »

Excellent shots but  for me they have a sadness about them -a beached vessel almost like a beached whale.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum