Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 09:19:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

This is what got me interested in severe weather

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This is what got me interested in severe weather  (Read 355 times)
stuart2588

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:34:11 pm »

Hi

I thought I would post what got me interested in severe weather.

Last June we were at a waterpark in Seaworld in Orlando Florida. We had to be evacuated, firstly out of the water, then 10mins later to shelter and 10mins after that into toilets as a radar induced tornado was in the area. The lightning was spectacular and it was after this, that I started to gather an interest in storms.

Here is a link to a discussion that was going on in ukww during that thunderstorm that I was right in the middle of lol. At the time I didnt even know ukww existed.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23601&start=1&highlight=orlando&highlightmode=1

Here is a video link showing the news report for that day. Lightning strikes totalled 1850 or something and it also shows some hails pics.

http://www.clickorlando.com/weather/16562051/detail.html#related

Anyway thats what got me hooked lol.

I was browsing through some pics I took last year and came across this one. This was another storm photographed from Anna Maria Island facing Tampa Bay.

We are going back in June this year so I will be able to appreciate these storms more and will have my new camera lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:12:35 am »

Thanks very much for posting this Stuart. I enjoyed reading it very much, you must have had a real white knuckle experience over there. What a way to get started in severe weather!. Loved the video clips, those US forecasters are incredible. Thanks also for the image, that's a severe looking cell, impressive updraught to the L with overshooting top. That cell looks a serious distance away so it must have been massive...Cheers!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:54:29 am »

The cell looks to me nice but not so much severe...  Grin but after reading your story, Stuart, I understood that I've never experienced such severe weather.

Good luck to you in Florida  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:54:53 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys. I dont think the storm in the photograph was a severe thunderstorm either although the one at the waterpark definitely was lol. It is probably something that I wont get to experience again for a long time which is a pity, because at the time I didnt appreciate it or study it as much as I would if it happened to me now.

Maybe one day I will go on one of these storm chasing tours lol. We should get a group from the forum to go lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:22:54 pm »

We should get a group from the forum to go lol.
Pity that I'm not possible to join  Cry  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:45:40 pm »

I would love to do that myself Stuart, some day I would like to join the tours and meet Roger Hill  Smiley. John W from this forum is already away out to the plains since last Thurs so hopefully he will bring back plenty of cool images.

That cell in the image looks to be weakening, but I bet it would have been nasty under that base. You can tell by the solid profile of the updraught and weakening anvil that it's a strong cell, and probably was producing something at an earlier stage of it's life cycle.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum