Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:00:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Storm Potential For IR/NI - Fri/Sat/Sun May 8-10th

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm Potential For IR/NI - Fri/Sat/Sun May 8-10th  (Read 3120 times)
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 07:41:48 pm »

briefly intense hail and rain just hit lisburn! pretty impressive shelf cloud with it too!
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 07:43:36 pm »

Yep, a quite sudden arrival at Larne just a few mins ago - horizontal rain and a great increase in wind!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:01 pm »

Yip, just in and got similar. I went out to a good location and waited for it to come in. There was so much mid level cloud around that I couldn't see much. Then, suddenly, the cold front/squall line appeared over the Sperrins with shocking speed with a pure evil shelf cloud on the leading edge. This was worth the trip. The shelf was pure black with a silvery-grey precip curtain behind with lumps of dark scud suspended in the air. There were some serious gusts from it which gave the trees a good shake and knocked my tripod over a few times. Under it was heavy rain and hail stones with a sudden drop in the temp. My fingers were soon red with the cold as if I had been throwing snow balls without gloves. No lightning which was surprising considering the appearance of the thing, but it was worth the effort to see that shelf. I have images and video, but if you don't like rain drops on images then you wont like these lol...it was crazy trying to take an image without the lens getting blasted!!. Anyway, good show and hopefully a taster for Fri.

Any images Stuart/Scott ?
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 08:16:30 pm »

Squall line has intensified even more as it hit SW Scotland...thunderstorms breaking out from it.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 08:20:50 pm »

The squall line was photographed over Belfast Lough with a recorded drop in temp of 4 degrees C in 15 mins!

Link to image...

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/p/26224/742702.aspx#742702
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 08:26:28 pm »

It has arrived here in Glengormley. Heavy winds and small hail.
"Hit" here just after 1830 BST. Strong winds (est gusts to force 9) & very heavy rain which persisted for 10-15 minutes, fading out rather than ending. Now (2025) still overcast & light rain with force 6 wind.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 08:49:03 pm »

Thanks for the report Brian!!, sounds very unpleasant near the coast, it was bad enough inland.

Thunderstorms breaking out on W coast of Ireland. Atmosphere begins to turn unstable from now until Fri.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »

Risk map for Fri from Tony Gilbert

Report Spam   Logged

stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 11:11:05 pm »

No images for me tonight unfortunately. I was just parking my car when it arrived and got completely soaked lol. I am hoping to finish up early tomorow in the hope of getting some pics.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 09:17:59 am »

Risk map for Fri from Tony Gilbert
Wintry showers, check. Definitely convective but it's hard to see the tops through the near complete overcast. The energy is coming off the sea like it does in autumn/winter. No lightning or thunder noted.

Gusty winds, check, force 6 with frequent gusts to force 8.

Hail, not that I've seen, so far.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 09:55:43 am »

That was a wild night last night!!. Just about everything going on. Seen 7 Moonbows, Moondogs, Coronae, powerful squalls, torrential horizontal rain, stars, anvils. One awesome cell could be seen over the Sperrins at 01.00 with a huge updraught lit by the Moon. John 9929 seen flashes of lightning from that direction. Some of the blackest and nastiest night time skies I have seen in a long time with cell after cell passing through, mammatus also seen.

Here's today's forecast from Netweather....

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:44 am »

Impressive morning already with huge anvils galore, mammatus, and squalls. Interesting to see what the higher CAPE values do to this stuff during the afternoon!
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:55 pm »

Just sat in work in belfast at the moment, the rain is hammering the roof! seen some very large cells this morning when i was on the train,, its a pity im not out watching! Hopefully there will be a few good sights when i get out for my lunch!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 05:15:31 pm »

I'm just in and I have to say that I was very disappointed with today's lack of action. It seems to have been a bust forecast except the very SE of Ireland which had some lightning. Here, from sunrise onwards,  there was plenty to see, huge anvils, mammatus etc, but none of them were capable of producing a t-storm or funnel. The updraughts were too weak, the anvils were soft/fluffy, no well defined bases, no shear at all, it was hopeless. It was just a day of weak convection and showers. The sky did try several times to produce the goods but failed. There was just not enough energy in those clouds. Maybe something will arrive in before sunset but I doubt it....not a good day from my end anyway....ready for round 2 whenever that may be.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 07:08:34 pm »

Sferic S of Lough Neagh near John's location.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum