Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 08:23:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Storm Potential For IR/NI - Fri/Sat/Sun May 8-10th

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm Potential For IR/NI - Fri/Sat/Sun May 8-10th  (Read 3158 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:01 pm »

Yip, just in and got similar. I went out to a good location and waited for it to come in. There was so much mid level cloud around that I couldn't see much. Then, suddenly, the cold front/squall line appeared over the Sperrins with shocking speed with a pure evil shelf cloud on the leading edge. This was worth the trip. The shelf was pure black with a silvery-grey precip curtain behind with lumps of dark scud suspended in the air. There were some serious gusts from it which gave the trees a good shake and knocked my tripod over a few times. Under it was heavy rain and hail stones with a sudden drop in the temp. My fingers were soon red with the cold as if I had been throwing snow balls without gloves. No lightning which was surprising considering the appearance of the thing, but it was worth the effort to see that shelf. I have images and video, but if you don't like rain drops on images then you wont like these lol...it was crazy trying to take an image without the lens getting blasted!!. Anyway, good show and hopefully a taster for Fri.

Any images Stuart/Scott ?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum