Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 05:36:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Thunderstorm Outlook & Maghaberry Funnel - Fri August 1st

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunderstorm Outlook & Maghaberry Funnel - Fri August 1st  (Read 1662 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:59:40 pm »

Storm Forecast
Valid: Fri 01 Aug 2008 06:00 to Sat 02 Aug 2008 06:00 UTC
Issued: Thu 31 Jul 2008 17:14
Forecaster: TUSCHY
SYNOPSIS

A strong low pressure system over the British Isles tilts over in a more zonal direction. Attendant surface cold front and upper trough axis cross NW and parts of central Europe with scattered thunderstorm development. A strong cold front pushes southward over NE Europe while hot and stable conditions persist over the Mediterranean.

DISCUSSION

... North Sea, parts of the Netherlands and Germany ( aside from S - Germany ) ...

An extensive, arc shaped cold front will be the main player as it crosses those areas from the W / SW during the day. This frontal boundary is best structured over the North Sea due to a more cross-frontal background flow, pushing the cold front rapidly to the north / northeast. Forcing and strong upper divergence provide persistent convective activity over the North Sea, which decreases during the day as instability vanishes / tongue of highly modified EML clears away. A few elevated storms are still not out of the question and hence we went with a quite extensive thunderstorm area.

Further to the SE, aforementioned cold front is already present over the Netherlands and W - Germany and we think that this boundary is still active regarding shower / thunderstorm activity due to a favorable pool of BL moisture just ahead of this front and strong upper divergence. This front runs in a slowly weakening and eastward retrenching thermal ridge over E - Germany and forward speed slows down as mid - / upper level wind field backs ahead of the main upper trough axis over N - France. Current thinking is that a more or less N - S aligned band of showers and thunderstorms re - / develops during the day, moving eastwards over central Germany and ENE over N / NE Germany. Despite a moist BL, quite warm mid - levels and barely 10 - 15 m/s DLS should keep the severe risk limited. Strong LL CAPE release could support a few more organized storms with hail approaching our criterion, but that's too marginal for a level - 1.

The area, which could get a few severe thunderstorms is E / NE - Germany, where better diabatic heating, constant surface pressure fall during the day and a convergence zone ahead of the main surface front could result in a few thunderstorms, breaking the cap. As models fail / have seesaw changes with this possible development we want to wait for more informations and an update / upgrade may become necessary later - on.

... S - Germany, western Alpine region, SE France and N - Italy ...

Slowly eastward moving surface front nestles up against the Alpes during the late afternoon and evening hours, providing good BL moisture. Combined with better mid - level lapse rates, MLCAPE of 700 - 1200 J/kg are likely to evolve during the day. Both, frontal forcing and diabatic heating should help to erode the cap until the early afternoon hours with scattered thunderstorm development expected. Wind field at all levels is slightly better with DLS around 15m/s and multicells could produce a few large hail / strong wind gust reports.

During the evening hours, upper trough axis finally approaches from the WSW, resulting in another burst of widespread thunderstorms mainly over Switzerland and W - Austria. Model pool is in general agreement in developing a large cluster of storms somewhere over central Switzerland, moving to the northeast. Marginal hail and strong wind gusts can occur but the main risk will be a flash flood risk, running from Switzerland over W - Austria to SE Germany during the night hours.

We issued a broad level - 1 area also for SE France and N - Italy as combination of modest DLS / moderate instability release could result in a few large hail reports over a broad area.

... S - central Sweden, S - Finland, Estonia and eastwards ...

A strong cold front plows southward during the day. At the same time, a strong upper trough axis crosses the highlighted area from the WNW so plenty of forcing will be available for scattered thunderstorm initiation. Latest model runs continue to place Estonia and extreme S / SE Finland in the most favorable thermodynamic environment with MLCAPE values approaching 1000 J/kg at the afternoon / evening hours. The wind field is more or less parallel aligned to the surface front, resulting in its slow - down and this should limit the risk for an organized squalline with widespread severe wind gusts ( in addition, the wind field in the lowest 2 km is not very strong ). Despite that, a solid line of showers and thunderstorms should re - / develop along / just ahead of the front and strength of DLS ( 15 - 20 m/s ) and instability release call for an isolated large hail / strong wind gust risk and hence a level - 1 was issued.

LL speed shear but not directional shear becomes stronger over extreme W - Russia and and isolated tornado can't be ruled out, although instability release will be quite limited with 200 - 500 J/kg MLCAPE. We may have to expand the level area to the east if more instability can be released than currently anticipated.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:12:13 am by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:21:23 pm »

Funnel cloud reported and photographed from Maghaberry, N. Ireland By John McConnell not long after the solar eclipse. It was hanging from dark storm clouds gathering in the S.

There's a risk of further convection for eastern parts of N. Ireland and W Scotland today. Main risk is rain and hail but t-storms and further funnels/tornadoes can't be ruled out.
Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »

Wow!!!! looking forward to seeing the images John....
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:45 pm »

I reported the funnel to the UKWeatherworld. Matt supplied some info....

Obs show some converging surface winds across N Ireland this morning (east of Lough Fea) and satellite and radar suggest activily growing cumulus with sharp showers breaking around by around 11am. WV imagery suggests dry medium and upper air across N Ireland near the centre of the upper low. Certainly fairly favourable conditions. Look forward to seeing the photos if he wishes for you to put them up on here.

Care to add anything John?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:15:41 pm »

TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION 2008/018

A TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION has been issued at 11:50GMT on Friday 1st August 2008

Valid from/until: 11:50-18:00GMT on Friday 1st August 2008 for the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:

N Ireland

SW Scotland

THREATS

Isolated tornadoes, CG lightning, hail, torrential rain.

SYNOPSIS

Convergence INVOF surface low and strong diurnal heating are creating conditions favourable for weak tornadoes. Funnel cloud reports have already been received from N Ireland.

Forecaster: RPK.

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:16:55 pm »

Did you report that funnel John?...I see TORRO mentioned N. Ireland.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:45:41 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:43:17 pm »

Link to UKWW with John's images...

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24768&posts=11#M361649
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:47:38 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:31 pm »

Fantastic capture John! well done...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 04:42:22 pm »

The cloud from which the funnel is hanging appear yellowish ... is that usual? Has the funnel actually picked anything up?
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 05:54:02 pm »

Gosh, that's an excellent catch John! Well caught.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:06:07 pm »

OMG!, the most incredible cell I have ever seen is taking up the entire NW to NE sky with exploding black mushroom towers directly overhead. Very dark and menacing as hell. Base has slow rotation and strong inflow. Looks like a supercell!!. So big I couldn't fit in the superwide angle lens, took video. What a sight!. No thunder from it just heavy rain. It's been here for ages and still is. Looks like it could drop a tornado at any time!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:14 pm »

Possible tornado seen by experienced observer near Ballymena today.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 09:25:14 pm »

Thanks guy's, it has to be the most unusual structure I've ever seen, and it came just a few minutes after the eclipse "would" have ended. These great big black clouds ruined my chances of seeing last contact, but what the heck you have to give way to something like that nomatter.

Brian, don't know what the yellowish colour would be, nothing was picked up so far as I could see, as it didn't touch the ground. Maybe Martin might have some idea. The images are untouched only resized.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:39:38 pm »

Very good observation Brian. I see what you mean, the colour could be an indication of dust or some material which may have been disturbed on the ground. Probably filtered sunlight passing through the cloud from above (?).  It's important to note that the visible condensation funnel does not have to be seen reaching the ground for a tornado to be present. This very often happens in the US when only half a funnel is pendant from the cell base, while the rotating column of air is on the ground doing damage. It's also interesting to note that many funnels in the UK are seen under cumulus congetus clouds, also known as towering cumulus or turkey towers.  Usually a cumulonimbus is need for a powerful tornado.

I am delighted that John caught this funnel because he has been watching for one non stop since last year. I seen several funnels last year and I can tell you, images don't do them justice, they are incredible in the flesh, so I know exactly what John is feeling now. It took me a month to return to normal after the July 17th 2007 funnel. I'm sure John will be addicted to them now and will be on the hunt for more!.

This is exactly why I post  these thunderstorm/convective outlooks. Even if no t-storms fire off, the convective cells themselves are capable of producing funnels and tornadoes in the correct enviornment. These factors are in the atmosphere, in the cell, and even tropographic. Once you see a funnel you will never forget it!

John, congrats! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum