Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:29:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

An unusual rainbow

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An unusual rainbow  (Read 526 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:43:11 am »

What's unusual about it? This photo was taken approximately 15 minutes after sunset!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:02:48 am »

Great image Paul! I'll give it a guess!!!   It's a red bow?  It isn't raining?  The fact that the sun had set, where is it getting it's light source from?  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:20:36 am »

It's a red bow?  It isn't raining?  The fact that the sun had set, where is it getting it's light source from?
OK, here's my guess.

It doesn't need to be raining where you are to see a rainbow. The light from the Sun hits the drops of rain falling and is refracted back to your eye. So you can see a rainbow after the sun has set, because the sun is still shining on the rain falling from the cloud. The Sun can be seen shining on the clouds behind the rainbow; and the rainbow does not touch the ground because the light from the lower part of the rain curtain isn't illuminated.

The light is mostly red because of the scattering of the shorter wavelengths as the light travels a long distance through the atmosphere. Which is why you see the disc of the Sun red at sunset, or indeed why Jupiter looks yellowish or orange (depending on how hazy the air is) this year.

The bow isn't pure red, the other colours are there but are faint. There is a trace of the outer bow as well.

Interesting and unusual, all the same.

Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:27:53 am »

Yes, my understanding is that all the normal rainbow stuff was going on at some altitude above us - so although the Sun had set at ground level it was still sing over the horizon and through rain that was itself at some altitude.

You can see that the 'bow doesn't make it all the way to the horizon - by contrast the top of it was higher in the sky than is normally the case.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:15:03 pm »

Beautiful sunset rainbow Paul. These are my favourite kind of bows.!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum