Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 01:51:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook Ireland/UK - Mon April 27th

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook Ireland/UK - Mon April 27th  (Read 1549 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 07:29:57 pm »

Hi Stuart, great to hear you where out hunting with the camera and that you took loads of images. I have yet to get my own off the camera and sort through them all...I have too many, I'm always trigger happy when a storm happens.  Smiley

I was studying your images earlier and I'm guessing those lowerings may have been under a gust front/shelf cloud. If that is correct than any rain would have been behind it. If those lowerings where behind the rain (if cell is moving to the R) then it would be the inflow area of the cell. That's where funnels, wall clouds, and tornadoes can form. Having said that, weaker examples can also form under the shelf. I'm not sure what part of the storm that was but I would go with the gust front  theory. All of those lowerings are interesting, especially the one to the far R. That had got my attention..it looks similar to some of the dramatic lowerings that formed here today. So what are they?...I honestly don't know  Smiley..could be outflow scud, could be a scud sucker, but maybe there was a brief funnel in there. If you seen rotation then yes. It might get confirmed by other observers in the area. Sorry I can't be of any more help Stuart. Will keep my eyes and ears open for more reports. You could always post them on the UKWW and ask for advice, or email them to Tony Gilbert or Paul Knightly privately for an opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 07:57:14 pm »

Loads of convection here all afternoon including this boyo. I got one of these last year almost to the day! This was massive as this image was taken at 18mm. I didn't see the end of it as that lower cloud came in and obscured it. There were three other similar anvils here today but not as good as this one.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:00:54 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 08:28:22 pm »

great images. Its was a great day.

Thanks for the reply Martin. I wish I had of been closer and maybe it would have been clearer.

Here are some images I took around 630pm this evening.

Cant wait to see some lightning this year. Im unlucky every time lol.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 09:20:12 pm »

Thanks for posting the images John. Lovely white anvils there, I can really appreciate the size when you used the 18mm!!. There's a nice flanking line to the R of the anvil feeding upwards into the main updraught. Are those bumps under the anvil on the L hand side mammatus?...,they look obvious just below the flies (?) on the 2nd image, if it wasn't mamma it could have been a twist in the updraught...nice  Smiley

Thanks for the images Stuart. Very nice updraught bases, any of those certainly looked capable of dropping a funnel. I can tell you have been chasing big time today. Your dedication will pay off...you will get the lightning soon.  Wink

I'm delighted to see so many reports and images from the members on here...great to see such enthusiasm for convective weather in this country!.

That storm in Antrim which produced the funnel today caused flooding, water was flowing out of the man holes on the roads.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:02 pm »

This nice cell approached from the N after the t-storm passed through. It grew in size and produced a very nasty hail storm and a wall cloud with lowerings.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:01:57 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 02:27:44 pm »

Here's the funnel cloud over Antrim Yesterday. A very good one it is too!

Report Spam   Logged

stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 09:23:14 pm »

Great image Martin. That funnel taken in Antrim also looks like a good one. Roll on the summer for more of the same. I think we are doing great so far this year!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 04:26:20 pm »

Cheers Stuart. I think we are doing great to, and with the bigger stuff to come during the Summer it's only a matter of time before at least one of us on here will catch another funnel...or better  Smiley. I think this is going to be a great season. It's certainly got off to a nice early start.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »

Paul, nice panorama  Smiley

This nice cell approached from the N after the t-storm passed through. It grew in size and produced a very nasty hail storm and a wall cloud with lowerings.
That hail downpour.... is a beauty!  Smiley
Today, although it is hot & dry, the sky was covered with a lot of medium-sized Cu, and one of them seemed to me like it was transforming into Cb for a while - the upper part started forming some kind of anvil, and a nice virga (and possibly even rain downpour) was visible in the lower part. But it wasn't such impressive as on your photo and in some 10 minutes later it started to evaporate.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 01:53:17 pm »

I think I just saw one of your photos on the bbc newsline lunchtime news Martin......
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 02:24:38 pm »

...I didn't send any in lol. Unless they used an old one?. Thanks for letting me know Stuart. I will check the evening repeat to see if it appears again. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 04:40:17 pm »

lol they must have used an old one because it was definitely one of yours. Keep an eye out for it tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 06:59:31 pm »

Your'e are absolutely rite Stuart, it was the shelf cloud from mid April. It has been processed badly though, burnt out in the middle. Not that I'm complaining  Smiley. It's the 8th image down...

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Shelf%20Cloud%20-%20April%2011th%2009.html

Also, a very nice storm image from Paul over the Lough. Paul, any chance you could share that image with us?. It looked great.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:01:13 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 07:46:39 pm »

Nice shot Martin - it's often the case that TV isn't a flattering medium where still images are concerned - too many compromises.

Anyhow, this is the shot of mine they used, taken on Monday of this week....

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:25 pm »

Thanks for putting it up Paul. That's a very nice image. I'm assuming the storm was moving away from you (?)because I can see the shelf cloud to the L of the precip...viewing it from the rear. Very nice. Did you take any more that day?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum