Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 11:18:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season  (Read 21187 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 02:57:39 am »

nice images Martin and Paul Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 03:13:18 am »

And we're off, in style!
That's a better display than I got, but I did get a positive NLC - diffuse arc in the Lynx region (east of Auriga and north of Gemini) from approx. 0010 - 0055 BST, distinctive silvery blue colour, not bright, no fine structure.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:53 am »

Congratulations for the season start guys!  Cheesy
I have read Spaceweather today, Martin is at the front page!  Wink

I watched the sky on May.29 evening - nothing here. (Still not able to start with a regular watch)  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 12:51:38 pm »

Thanks Roman. Here's another one of mine showing the strange loop that developed in the later stages. It passed through Gemini.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »

Very good John. Shortly after I got my shots the sea fog came up and that was it for me!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »

Excellent stuff everyone - a successful night. Notice how all the early displays this year are evening events compared to the last two years which produced many pre-dawn displays.

The May 29/30th display was the best 'first' season NLC display I have ever seen. Observed from 22.30-23.45 UT, extending from W to N sky 100 degrees in azimuth from Gemini into Perseus and over 20 degrees high. Type 3 brightness with silver, white, blue, yellow, and green colours. Structures observed, bands, waves, whirls, knots. A lovely display to begin the season. Thanks to John McConnell who confirmed them for me over the phone when they first formed in bright twilight, that confirmation took about one sec!

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 07:08:03 pm »

Here's my partner in crime Jonathan taking images, thanks for the lift up the road Jonathan at such short notice, let us see your images, I know you got some good ones Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:10:11 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 09:49:20 pm »

That's a very cool shot John  Smiley. Jonathan, would love to see your images when you get a chance.

Congrats guys, that's three of us the SW homepage at the same time  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 09:52:17 pm »

Indeed, the three of us on the first sighting! Would love to see Jonathan's shots!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 09:58:39 pm »

Here's the spaceweather email alert...

Space Weather News for May 30, 2009http://spaceweather.com FIRST NLCs of 2009: The first noctilucent clouds (NLCs) of 2009 have been sighted over northern Europe. Last night, May 29th, photographers recorded wispy electric-blue tendrils spreading across the twilight skies of Denmark, Northern Ireland and Scotland. This follows a similar display over Russia on May 27th. These sightings signal the beginning of the 2009 NLC season, which is expected to last until late July. Early-season NLCs are usually feeble, but these were fairly bright and vibrant, suggesting that even better displays are in the offing.

Check today's edition of http://spaceweather.com for photos. Noctilucent clouds are an unsolved puzzle. They float 83 km above Earth's surface at the edge of space itself. People first noticed NLCs in the late 19th century. In those days you had to travel to high northern latitudes to see them. In recent years, however, the clouds have been sighted in the United States as far south as Oregon, Washington and even Colorado. Climate change, space dust, and rocket launches have all been cited as possible explanations for the phenomenon. Interestingly, low solar activity seems to promote the clouds, so the ongoing deep solar minimum could set the stage for a good season in 2009. The best time to look for NLCs is just after sunset or just before sunrise when the sun is between 6 and 16 degrees below the horizon. That's when the geometry is just right for sunlight to illuminate the tiny ice crystals that make up the clouds.
Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 12:37:18 am »

Here are some of mine no sign of any nlc's tonight it was good craic last night John!

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 12:57:34 am »

Those are excellent Jonathan, best I've seen yet. Yea the craic was good I enjoyed it and the look thro the big bins.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 04:09:48 am »

Great work everyone! Congrats Martin and Paul for getting on spaceweather!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 01:48:35 pm »

Jonathan, thanks very much for posting those great images. I agree 100% with John, that first image is the best NLC image taken so far this season!. Stunning colours and structure with the classic electric blue colour. You even captured that patch of herringbone structure to the R of Capella. Look at Algol to the lower R embedded within the orange glow!.

Seen nothing last night despite a very good clear sky, except for some high level cirrus above Capella before dawn catching the Sun. Hopefully we will get another tonight.
Report Spam   Logged

davegrennan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:47 am »

There was some visibility this evening from Raheny.

Here's a couple of images I snapped.

http://webtreatz.com/content/view/77/1/
Report Spam   Logged

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
------------------------------
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
http://www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: