Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 07:16:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season  (Read 21546 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:28 pm »

Hi Tyler, sorry to hear about the bust chase in the heavily capped enviorment, I hate caps, they really kill the day. Did you get any images of the convection?. I see Mike H has caught NLCs last night, he's mentioned both of our names on his website which was very nice of him. I don't know if there has ever been NLCs from Nebraska before but I suspected this season would produce a display and I'm delighted to see they have finally made it that far south , shows what a special season this is. Keep an eye out tonight, I have been clouded out for the last two nights but hoping for clear spells tonight to see the shuttle transit and more NLCs. Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2009, 05:42:22 pm »

With the sighting of NLC's in Northern Oregon on Monday evening, I was bound and determined to see something Tuesday night, even though I am 250 miles SW of the others. I had all but given up at about 22:07 PDT when I said the heck with it and took a couple of 30 second exposures and called it an evening. When I downloded my batch this morning I was very surprised to see that I indeed did capture some NLC's, unfortunately mostly behind trees. But I did capture them @ 42 degrees latitude. I will definitely be out at a different treeless location tonight weather permitting.

Original image

Very heavily cropped

Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2009, 05:56:25 pm »

Great work Richard!! I was out watching too, but there were some clouds in my way from a spectacular display visible from where I was unfortunately I left to early to see them. I'll be out tonight as well, probably going to a dark sky location. Good Luck to everyone tonight and bring on the best display of the year tonight!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2009, 06:21:24 pm »

Excellent stuff Richard, I can the NLCs no problem at all, very well defined and a great image. Congrats to all the US photographers for catching NLCs from so far south!. Keep watching...
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2009, 06:43:16 pm »

Well done Richard, I knew some of you guys would hit the jackpot some of these nights. My body clock last night said have an early night but my instincts said stay up a while, so I went for a drive looking for sites! Boy am I glad I did, I was treated to this beautiful display before dawn which "almost" outshone Venus. This made up for what I couldn't see earlier. Venus Mars and the Pleiades are there also.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:52:09 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2009, 03:42:31 am »

Clouds have just parted here before dawn. NLC display visible 25 degrees high and of type 4 brightness. Heads up to the US readers for later...maybe.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2009, 02:42:24 am »

Nice short lived display here before midnight (19/20) which lasted for about an hour or so over in the NE. Thanks Jonathan for the heads-up. Got a few images here's one of them.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2009, 04:16:00 am »

... followed by an ASTOUNDING display in the dawn twilight, probably at its best about 0345 BST when it filled well over half of the sky, with a sharp edge parallel with the NW horizon at 45 degree elevation below which the cloud was absent - there was a bright patch in the south east at 25 degrees elevation, very bright ripples & glow in the north east passing right over the zenith fading gradually into "normal twilight" high in the south west. Didn't pay much attention till after 0330 as I was trying to observe Jupiter; I didn't bother trying to image the NLC as it would have been impossible to do it justice without a 180 degree fisheye camera.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: July 20, 2009, 04:47:25 am »

What an awesome show!! especially when the crescent moon and venus where embedded within...amazing!!!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 20, 2009, 08:27:12 am »

Great pictures and reports there guys!  I missed the early morning didplay today as I was in the land of nod, seems it has been widely observed though.  I think I may have to go and observe the sun now to make up for missing Jupiter and the NLC  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 20, 2009, 11:32:45 am »

I saw and imaged the dawn show Brian it was amazing, I even tried a couple of simi-fisheye shots and it covered the whole sky reaching well over into the south. Even with the lens on 18mm I could only get some of it in. I had a good idea it would come back again before dawn so was waiting for it Wink Will post an image or two later. I also saw a nice volcanic sunrise just before the sun rose it was very striking.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 20, 2009, 04:53:02 pm »

A few from this morning's display. Very hard to pick from over 60 images, hope you like.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:06:39 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: July 20, 2009, 07:11:56 pm »

A few from last night...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:13:42 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: July 20, 2009, 07:38:41 pm »

Here's a video clip...

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #314 on: July 20, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »

Very nice images all. Beautiful with the crescent moon and Venus against the background NCL's. Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum