Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 07:54:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Noctilucent Cloud Season  (Read 21184 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 09:41:40 pm »

Now that's impressive, certainly given that you're a lot further south than us oop North here Dave. I didn't see anything that I'd call real NLCs last night - the lunar interference is becoming a factor as indeed is the prolonged twilight. I took this patrol shot before giving up and going to bed...

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 12:18:49 pm »

Nice patrol image Paul.

Dave, nice images, I like that one with you standing in the shot with the observatory. I didn't see any NLCs that night myself from here.

There was a faint display last night visible from 02.00-03.25 BST, 50 degrees wide and 15 degrees high in the NW to N predawn sky. Type 1 brightness with veil and bands. Very faint and unimpressive, have a few poor images but they are barely worth posting. Still an NLC display though. Hopefully we will get a bigger one tonight.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:48:23 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 08:47:08 pm »

Here's a youtube video I have never seen before on NLCs produced by NASA. A nice informative clip.

Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:18 am »

Got some images of to nights display 4/6/09.

jonathan.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:38:17 am by jjb » Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 04:28:50 am »

Here's one of the many images I got. This was a beauty!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
rjgjr
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 07:05:54 am »

Those are absolutely beautiful shots Johnathan and John, congratulations!!
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 08:30:29 am »

Excellent shots John and Jonathan! I had cloud to the North shortly after dusk so I missed that one  Sad

PS, we seem to have Page 1 of the gallery sewn up!
http://spaceweather.com/nlcs/gallery2009_page1.htm
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:39:57 am by Paul » Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 10:37:16 am »

Congratulations!

The display here was faint & higher in the sky, filling the Ursa Major region, in fact I was suspecting it was very thin cirrus lit by the Moon & artificially (  Angry ) so I didn't take a lot of notice, made the best of the excellent transparency & seeing. You lot further South were possibly seeing this same formation brighter because of the more favourable angle. Between 2 am & 3 am (BST) there was a enhancement of the twilight arc in the NE which I believe was the "lowest grade" of NLC (unstructured glow), certainly the colour was unusual for ordinary twilight.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 11:47:05 am »

Thanks all! Now that I have managed to grab a few hours sleep on the couch!! I can have a look at some of the images. This display almost caught me out as when it started just after 2330BST it looked for all the world just like cirrus in the NW. I rang Martin and we discussed it and took a few patrol images from the drive. When it came nearer to midnight I decided I was going up the road to my vantage point. When I got there the display was more than obvious. Some of the structures were weird which I have not seen before, especially so early in the season. By 1am it died away somewhat but by 2am it came back but only for an hour or so. As you say Brian the N-NE sky took on this strange electric blue colour which didn't appear to show much structure, but for some reason the camera picked it out. The shot below was taken at 02:30BST but by 3am the display was all but gone. The one on SW was a rushed job but it's nice to dominate the homepage and the Gallery Grin
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 05:02:50 pm »

Those are lovely images guys!!. John, that first image is great, such rich colours and great structure.  Smiley

I observed the same display until 03.00 BSTalso. Average brightness type 3 with enhancements to type 3.5. Approx 30 deg high and + 80 deg long from NW to W of N. Electric blue colours, green, and orange were seen along with the classic white and silver. Complex structures present - bands, veil, waves/heringbone, lacunosus holes, knots, and whirls. A very high quality display for early June!!

To save time I have added my images to this link on my website...(900 pixels wide)

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Sky%20Events%20Now.html

Amazing what the difference in latitude can do Brian from our different latitudes. Keep watch tonight for more.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:50:40 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 06:16:38 pm »

Great work John M and Martin!! both on spaceweather front page! Paul is in the gallery too Smiley

All excellent images fellas. Martin describes it well as an electric blue...is this where the phrase "a midnight summers dream" came from? lol
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 03:23:23 am »

Notable NLC this morning (June 5th), got some images but I need kip. Full report tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 03:50:12 am »

...same here Brian, visible until near dawn..convective clouds below them too which looked cool contrasting with the silver NLCs...need kip now also.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 05:18:08 am »

I have to get some kip as well, but here's one taken earlier! It was a beauty.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 10:59:21 am »

Stunning John!!!  Shocked. Wish mine turned out as a good as that.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
  Print