Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 06:36:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

First Images w/Canon Nifty Fifty

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Images w/Canon Nifty Fifty  (Read 830 times)
rjgjr
« on: April 14, 2009, 09:05:53 pm »

Here are several images I have taken with my new "Nifty Fifty":

This image is somewhat of a mystery to me. I was pointed somewhere between the clouds in the vicinity of Auriga and Gemini, but working with a longer length lens(rather than my kit lens using 18mm), I really don't know what I'm looking at. I do notice a couple of small nebulae or clusters in the lower left corner, but I still don't have a clue. Any ideas? I also have to remember I can't use much more than 10 seconds on a 50mm (80 actually) or I'll start trailing in most parts of the sky.

13 sec f/2.8 1600 ISO

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:24:59 pm »

Richard, you're off to a great start with the 50mm lens - the best bargain in budget astrophotography!

You have almost the whole of Auriga in the first shot - Capella is the the right of center and you have - from the left - M36, M38 and M37 between 9 o'clock and 7 o'clock halfway out from the center of the shot. And loads of other NGCs too! A great shot!

I like the others too - some say the 50mm is too long on APS-C, but then film users paid a fortune for 85mm f2s and got more or less the same as you've got there. I love to 50mm lens!
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:50:31 pm »

Thanks for your input Paul and pointing me to where I was looking. I just couldn't see it. I agree with you on the 50 mm lens. For me, wider and faster is better, but not at that cost. I think I'll have a lot of fun with this lens, especially on comets and such. Anyway, thanks again.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:53:13 am »

Hi Richard, thanks for sharing those images and what a nice selection obtained with the new lens. You might have comet Cardinal in the high res original version of that first image.

Goregous cb with anvil over the Ocean too.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:19:32 pm »

Couple of great photos there -the last two. I'm lost with the first one of course.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:37:14 pm »

Very nice set of shots Richard. I got a nifty a couple of months back and for the price it's an astonishing lens. I've yet to try it for Astro, I'm gonna get a camera dovetail for the HEQ5 or piggyback it and see what happens.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 07:38:42 pm »

Got up early this morning to view the Lyrids Shower, but it was a total bust, only saw about 4 that I actually noticed in the hour or so I was out. I did get some images of the Southern Milky Way though. Can't wait till this summer when I can get to some flatter ground and away from my trees and neighbors security lights and take some better images. I love this nifty fifty.

50 mm @ f/2  10 seconds ISO1600
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 11:30:09 pm »

That is more than Nifty Richard - a stunner!. If that's the detail you are getting now with the 50mm I can only imagine the results during mid Summer!. Such a beautiful region of the galaxy.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:31:48 pm »

Excellent Milky Way. Is that just a single frame? Where were you shooting?
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
rjgjr
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:42:39 am »

Thanks for the comments. As you can tell, I am very happy with this lens, as long as I can get it focused without live view on my 400D! This was a single frame shot into the heart of Sagittarius. The stinger in Scorpius would be just out of the image at about 5 o'clock. The smaller field field of view with this lens still has me confused at times when I download images in areas of the sky I'm not familiar with, especially when there are so many stars. I have to get a little better star atlas than the one I have.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 03:09:12 am »

Amazing work here Richard!!! the milkyway image is stunning! I can't wait to try out my new lens tomorrow!!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum