Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:06:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Partial Solar Eclipse - Fri August 1st

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Partial Solar Eclipse - Fri August 1st  (Read 2595 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 08:55:55 pm »

Stevie, you got some superb shots there - the last one is the sharpest - keeping a 600mm lens with x2 crop factor in focus is hard work so well done there. John - great shot through the little Mak! Thanks John and Martin for the collaboration in getting my image up though I posted the SW link myself - I can't put any photos anywhere useful from work and it's getting worse as the censors close in Angry

p.
Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:09 pm »

Thanks Paul, I forgot my tripod so all images were handheld but I had a good day watching it..  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:29:28 pm »

Well done everyone - especially Paul whose image appeared on BBC Newsline!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:59 pm »

Steven, those are very impressive images...and handheld!! - fantastic.

Congrats Paul on your SW and BBC appearance. No problem sorting out the image on the forum. John got the image, sent it to me, and I got it on. Lovely image to.

John, your image is a beauty to.

Here's a few of mine. Not great I know. I put a holder covered in baader solar filter over my camera's 300mm lens. I had serious problems getting focused due to intense sunlight. First image is a crop and the rest are at prime focus. Took loads of images and video (sorting it out now). It was the perfect eclipse. I was very pleased with the show. I did alot of visual observing using the ETX. Seen the bite easily with the naked eye because the clouds acted as perfect drfiting filters.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:59:35 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:42 pm »

Thanks Martin!!!  your shots are great, very atmospheric!!! look forward to reading your report on your web site. Well done....
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 10:22:50 pm »

Here's a youtube video I made of today's partial solar eclipse. Used a 300mm lens with solar filter. Speed is increased by a factor of 2. Note the impressive turbulent motion of the clouds, especially so after 2 min's into the clip. No surprising there was a funnel seen just after the eclipse!

Thanks very much Steven. I now have three image reports to do!. Can't complain though. I seen the best storm cells today in my entire life. They were straight out of the US!. (that's another report). Now I know why chasers use the 10-22mm wide angle lens!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:24:25 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:41 pm »

Fantastic video Martin!!!! another classic song backing the video...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:12 pm »

Hey Stevie, well done on catching those images, handheld is not that easy, I love that mosaic!

Brian, it was unfortunate about the weather, but you got what I didn't get, an image in the closing stages, well done!

Congrats Paul, saw you image on BBC!

Martin, I rather like those taken through the cloud, very atmospheric!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 04:06:42 pm »

Well done everybody!  Smiley I think we will remember this day for at least 2 years!  Smiley

Brian, your image is very good! It's really shame about the weather.  Sad

John, well done both on the eclipse and the funnel cloud

Here is a wee mosaic I put together, all images as they were taken through filter (No adjustments)
Steven, I like this mosaic even more than the bigger shots. Why those shots have so much of yellow?

Martin, nice images and a great videoclip. I really enjoyed watching!  Smiley The only wrong thing I've noticed - there was a lot of words "tonight" in the song - sounds incorrect for this video  Wink  Cheesy

I had an EXCELLENT observation of an eclipse! The Sun was covered with Cu clouds for only 19 minutes of 124 minutes the eclipse lasted. I have more than 80 photos. Here is some of them:
through my scope's eyepiece (35x)

projection using a binocular

me observing...

eclipsed Sun emerging from behind the cloud

Smiley Not only the eclipse observed yesterday. I had 2 nights in a row (Jul.31/Aug.01/02) with clear weather and sucessful observations of comet C/2007W1 and meteor activity.
W1 Boattini was visible on both nights, but faint and diffuse, approx. 7.0-7.5 mag, nicely situated near pi Aries.
Very good meteor activity, especially active were the Cassiopeides and Capricornides. ZHR of all showers together was in a range of 50...80 (maybe peaked higher) (Jul.31/Aug.01) and 20...35 (Aug.01/02). Very nice -3 mag meteor on the last night, one of the best that I saw this year.

I have now a huge amount of work to do, so the complete reports on this eclipse and the comet will be done in some weeks later. Tomorrow (Aug.03) I will leave home for a trip to Feodosiya, Crimea, and I will return on Aug.18. So wait for my observations of C/2007W1, Perseides&other and a lunar eclipse after Aug.18-20.
Have a luck with lunar eclipse and good bye  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 04:37:49 pm »

[I like this mosaic even more than the bigger shots. Why those shots have so much of yellow?]

Thanks for your comments Roman, I think it's my laptop as it is getting old.  Sad I noticed how yellow it was when I checked on my work computer, need to invest in a new computer for home... 

Your images are great! look forward to seeing more...
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 01:58:56 pm »

Glad you liked the video Steven  Smiley

Roman , those are great shots. I like the twin eclipsed disks through the binos and that last shot of the eclipse and clouds. Very atmospheric!.

Your eclipse images are on page 3 of the Spaceweather.com solar eclipse gallery. Well done!

http://www.spaceweather.com/eclipses/gallery_01aug08_page3.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 03:40:54 pm »

Thanks Steven and Martin
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 05:30:39 pm »

Hey Roman, those are great shots! Nice to see what % you got in Poltava. I like the self portrait, you look very prepared Grin
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 07:04:10 pm »

Thanks John. Today I've returned from a long trip, and in a few next days my Solar eclipse page will be done.
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum