Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:59:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Comet Observations 27/8 July

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet Observations 27/8 July  (Read 824 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:16:57 pm »

Here are a couple of images I made of comets last night. These were made with a Canon 5D & 300mm lens working at f/4, piggyback mounted on my 8" LX90 SCT. B+W 491 filter was used to combat light pollution. Sub-exposures registered & stacked using Deep Sky Stacker. The centre of the image has been cropped, making the effective focal length about 800mm. The colour saturation was greatly increased to make the green light characteristic of cometary comas stand out, this means that there is a lot of chroma noise in the sky background!

6P/d'Arrest, 10 x 30 sec exposures between 01:20 and 01:31 UTC 28 July: The comet is only just visible, but the greenish spot indicated is at the exact position according to the ephemeris. I'm fairly sure I've got a capture. Unfortunately thin high cloud was spreading in and I was unable to take more images of this region.

2008J1/Boattini, 20 x 20 sec exposures between 01:35 and 01:59 UTC 28 July. The green glow of the extended cometary coma is clearly visible.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:01:31 pm »

Great captures Brian, I had intended trying last night but by 1am the whole sky was shrouded in thick fog, I couldn't even see stars overhead!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:43:29 pm »

Brian, that's superb work, well caught on both counts!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:22:59 pm »

Thanks guys.

The interesting thing is that I thought I could see 6P/d'Arrest through the eyepiece, but I was sure I couldn't see 2008J1 Boattini.

I think Boattini's comets have a curse on me - I seem to be able to image both of them but see neither Undecided

2008J1 is clearly well above mag. 10 and ought to be visible.... really well placed just about ten degrees above Polaris, no excuses for bad horizons or twilight please!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:49:48 pm »

Brian, fantastic work catching both of those elusive comets!!. Your camera confirms that they are both of the gas variety!. Very impressive imaging indeed. Any chance you could provide us with a post perihelion image of W1?.

From looking at your images I was thinking Y1 looked to be a better candidate for visual observation. Your latest post confirms that so tonight I'm going to have a bash at it with the 8.5" despite the street lights. It's very well placed as you say...in fact, it couldn't be better!.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »

Any chance you could provide us with a post perihelion image of W1?.
OK, here's the excuses - last night the Moon was in the wrong place - yes, I know it was only a fat crescent, but it would have been a nuisance. And it just so happens that I have a poor East horizon, and it's also in the wrong place so far as local light pollution is concerned, so I would have to go to an alternate site. Which I didn't feel like doing on the first really decent night for a couple of months.

Anyway, 2007W1 is getting higher & will clear my obstructed horizon in a couple of weeks.

I'll get it before it goes away.
Report Spam   Logged
dogstar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:02:27 am »

Brian they are excellent images your hard work has rewarded you well done looking foward to more
Report Spam   Logged

Declan McCormack
http://webtreatz.com/
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 07:19:54 pm »

Excellent work on catching those faint comets, Brian.  Smiley What magnitude were the comets and what was the limiting magnitude on those photos?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:22:07 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:30:25 pm »

What magnitude were the comets and what was the limiting magnitude on those photos?
The photographic magnitudes are not always the same as the visual ones, it depends a lot on how condensed the coma is. Very diffuse comets will sometimes be very hard to record even though they're bright in magnitude terms - for instance in April I was having difficulty imaging Comet Holmes even though it was still mag. 5 - because it was spread out over a couple of square degrees of sky.

2008J1 was around mag. 9.5 and 6P was around 12. The limiting magnitude in these images is around 14. This camera and lens can get to mag. 15 with 10 x 2 min subexposures in good sky conditions.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:01:16 am »

The limiting magnitude in these images is around 14. This camera and lens can get to mag. 15 with 10 x 2 min subexposures in good sky conditions.

It's great to have such high limiting magnitude!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:03:20 am by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum