Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:03:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Back To Glen Shane Forest Again

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back To Glen Shane Forest Again  (Read 508 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:50:31 pm »

I was up doing a 4 mile walk through Glen Shane forest on Sunday. I noted much damage to trees due to the recent impact from the squall line which was not evident on my previous visit. Tall trees flattened and some of the weaker trees even ripped in half which was remarkable. Some felling ,and other work, was being done by the forest workers so here's a few snaps. Nothing special but just felt great to be out with the camera again.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:55:43 pm »

Just goes to show how intense that squall was then, Martin. It's good to get out into the forests, you see all sorts.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 02:28:27 pm »

Thanks John. It's a lovely area but there isn't much to 'shoot' which is strange. Animal life is not very exciting there however there are a few Buzzards about but they are always too far away to get an image. Great for walking through though!. It's peaceful which is what I like about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:39:03 pm »

Wow those are some thick woods! I really like how you framed the last one Martin, it really gives you the feel for how tall those trees are. btw what is that animal in the first one? dog I'd imagine.

great work Martin, keep shooting!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:24:13 pm »

Thanks very much Tyler, those woods can be pretty thick. I recall one time a few years back, a friend and I spent the day doing photography there, darkness fall quickly and heavy rain began then we got lost on high ground in low visibility lol. It was nasty up there and full of marsh land around the trees with big holes which could swallow a person whole. We made out way into the trees at the top of the forest and found a very spooky area in darkness with strange stones. One was called the 'Bishop's Chair', it looked like some secrect place where mass must have taken place many years ago. It was very eerie.

That's one of my Dogs called 'Drew', he only has three legs. He's rescued from the pound.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »

Lovely shots Martin - I especially like the last one.
Here's a little tip - try using a circular polarising filter, if you use no other filter then get one of these. They will help with the washed out grey skies, and enhance your blues and greens and and do away with unwanted reflections from sparkling water. Or else if you shoot RAW you can use Photoshop to reduce the exposure which will help bring out detail in the clouds, and then use fill in lighting to compensate and brighten up your foreground - It works a treat, I managed to rescue some old shots with very grey overexposed sky in this way.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:56:15 pm »

Thanks very much for the tip John. I haven't got any filters at the min but I will add that one to my wish list  Smiley. Thanks again.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:20:51 am »

Some lovely compositions there Martin - and glad to see that despite his disability, your dog is not deterred from going for a walk.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:40:29 am »

They will help with the washed out grey skies,
Not the sort of skies we've been having lately... they are washed out grey  Angry

A bit better last night but still quite poor transparency. Sunshining today but there is an obvious layer of thin cirrostratus, not organized enough to cause parhelia though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum