Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 09:02:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Severe Squall Line Hits N. Ireland - Sat March 7th 09

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe Squall Line Hits N. Ireland - Sat March 7th 09  (Read 2541 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:21 am »

Just a quick mention - I awoke at 0230 this morning an realised that strong moonlight was shining in the window and it was tipping down with rain, so I looked out the front of the house, away from the Moon, and there was a Moonbow - I've photographed on before but never seen one naked eye! Very strange as it was monochrome - just not enough light to fire up the colour receptors on my retina I guess!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 02:57:39 pm »

Great stuff Paul, glad someone seen one of these guys last night.

I suspected the early morning hours to be the best night this year so far for Moonbows.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 09:53:40 pm »

Just got another report...

''Hey mate, just letting you know our smoking area in work in Belfast was ripped out of the ground during Saturday's storm. Was pretty bad here. My mates Mother text her as she had heared there had been a tornado in Crumlin but have not had this confirmed, think it was a rumour but exciting though!!!''...Chris Tennyson, Crumlin

Report Spam   Logged

stuart2588

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 10:36:59 pm »

I didnt get a chance to get up to Ballyclare to look for more damage but I may get up tomorrow.

I think the damage seems to be fairly widespread from Ballyclare to Newtownabbey so I think it would definitely have been straight line winds down here.

I would have loved to have seen this storm during the day. Who knows what we would have seen.

Its amazing how the storm remained so intense as it travelled from your area Martin, to Newtownabbey and across to the coast.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 12:38:41 am »

I wish I had seen it in daylight too, imagine the shelf cloud on that beast, I bet it looked like something from the states. On the plus side, the lightning looked great in the dark, pity the rain was torrential though, impossible to get an exposure of the lightning out in that. Jonathan Bingham told me he has video of the lightning too, so that's two video clips from the incident. More info might come to light in the days ahead.

Good luck tommorow Stuart, take you camera with you incase you spot anything  Smiley

Amazingly there has been no mention of it on the news...not surprising given the current headlines!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 06:54:01 pm »

I have changed the title of this thread since it has been needed for some time now, better for research reasons. Will hopefully get my hands on radar images shortly.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 08:38:46 pm »

A report from the Republic

http://www.argus.ie/news/freak-powerful-wind-causes-damage-at-dundalk-stadium-1670612.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum