Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 12:31:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Firenadoes From Nebraska

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firenadoes From Nebraska  (Read 594 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:09:44 pm »

Talk about weird yet incredible at the same time. These firenadoes where captured from Nebraska, USA by the famous Mike Hollingshead with Snow Geese in the forefround...

http://www.extremeinstability.com/

I can't wait to see the other images he will add. Even though I undertstand how these tornadoes form it still shocks me to see the images. There's something very alien about them.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:25:44 pm »

The images on that site are fantastic, never seen anything like that before! great find Martin!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 04:01:51 pm »

Almost fell off my chair! Thanks for posting Martin.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 04:55:18 pm »

Yeah I saw those eariler, simply incredible! I wish I had known, I might have taken the drive down there too. Actually the scene is in Missouri, about 2 hours from where Mike lives. I couldn't believe it at first, because he was so calm about explaining it. I'd be ecstatic!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:00:51 am »

Mike keeps shooting images in his style - they're breathtaking!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:12:15 am »

It makes me sad  Angry  No. 1 I wished I lived there and No. 2 that is what I'd have done for a career so when I see photos like this (along with the baldheaded eagle too) I  have mixed feelings. of awe and sadness  that I'm not able to have those photo ops. It's always amazed me to see birds flying around in thunderstorms but they do and here they are  flying by this lot. I can only think that they must be extremely focused on getting from A>B,  whatever. I see the eagle has a scorpion. Ugh.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:23:32 am »

It's always amazed me to see birds flying around in thunderstorms but they do and here they are  flying by this lot. I can only think that they must be extremely focused on getting from A>B,  whatever.
They're not grounded so aren't likely to be picked out by lightning strikes, and the turbulence creates lift which birds are extremely good at exploiting. Why expend energy gaining height when Nature is providing updrafts?

Birds are very highly evolved and terrific at flying, so I guess they know what they're doing. The ones that misjudge the severity of the turbulence beyond their capability to handle it don't get to pass their genes on.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum