Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 10:44:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Snowy morning

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snowy morning  (Read 517 times)
scott86

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:23:55 am »

Hi folks,
            What a surprise i woke up to this morning, the lisburn/Belfast area had a lovely blanket of snow covering it and seeing the sun pop out and reflect off the snow was amazing!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:18:07 pm »

I don't think there'll be many days left for snow photos. Probably the last one for you.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:25:17 pm »

I don't think there'll be many days left for snow photos. Probably the last one for you.
Dunno, I remember worse snow than that in June. (June 5th 1975)
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:20:25 am »

What a memory!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 06:04:12 pm »

This must it, Brian.

A  report of it.....

A cricket match between Derbyshire & Lancashire was  abandoned due to snow due to a freak climatic condtitions.

Weather Eye( Paul Simons)

ON THIS date 30 years ago, the weather delivered a shock, it snowed across a large part of Scotland and England.

Conditions had been miserably cold through much of May 1975, and when June arrived a northerly blast of Arctic air brought a biting frost across Scotland. Early on June 2 the thermometer at Gleneagles, Perthshire, sank to 3.3C (26F), a temperature more likely in the depths of winter than early summer. The cold air swept into England and snow fell as far south as East Anglia and London, with sleet reaching Portsmouth. Although the snow quickly melted in the South, it settled on the ground further north.

Famously, snow stopped play at a county cricket match between Derbyshire and Lancashire in Buxton, where snow reached an inch deep. Snow also delayed play between Essex and Kent at Colchester, accompanied by midday temperatures of 2C (36F), and John Arlott reported snow at a cricket match at Lord's.

The cold snap lasted a while, with snow lying on the ground for four days in parts of Scotland. But on June 6 the British weather lived up to its fickle reputation, when a heatwave sent temperatures soaring in northeast Scotland to 25C (77F).

A gloriously hot summer across Britain followed.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:09:02 pm »

There was snow on the ground in the morning at Coleraine - still some on the sides of the A26 between Ballymena & Ballymoney during the afternoon. I remember well because it was the day after my last exam at the Uni and I was travelling home. By motorcycle.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 01:51:19 pm »

Great Winter scenes Scott!, we had nothing like that here, just a good white coating on the mountains. I like the  2nd image the most, there's something about it. keep those weather images coming in  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum