Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 11:44:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Early March convection

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early March convection  (Read 609 times)
scott86

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:30 pm »

Hi folks,
            heres another attempt at uploading some pictures of the nice convection on sunday the 1st March, hope you enjoy! Im relatively new to the forum and photography also so any feedback would be much appreciated.

thanks
                                           scott

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:09 pm »

Hi Scott, glad to see you got the images up. Thanks very much for sharing those lovely images with us. I'm very fond of the first 2 and the last. That cb looks very big in no 2!. Great to see the results from another N. Ireland convective photographer. If you are only new to photography then you have a bright future!. My first convective images didn't even touch on those.  Smiley

keep an eye out for more on Wed...hopefully.
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:31 pm »

Thanks very much! the cell in the second picture was huge, i had to stretch my head right back to be able to see the very top of it! Im thankful i got the great skies as this was my first proper session keeping watch with the camera, yes fingers crossed for tomorrow, i have been keeping tabs on the forecasts. I might take a trip up to white mountain just outside lisburn which has some great viewing spots over belfast and even on clear days u can see the mourne mountains from there! Good luck with the skies up your direction Martin!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:46:51 pm »

Photos 3 & 4 appear to have virga. A lot of impressive convection going on.  Can you get the photos to  approx. 800 x 800 maybe ?

I've just looked at  White mountain ..http://cdn.wn.com/o25/ph//2008/12/31/7b396b12f3e32e865de02baab17a9715-grande.jpg

Yes, if you can get yourself there ,Scott, you should be showing us some great shots..A great vista and  open too. If I lived  near there I'd be a regular visitor.

You asked for any comments as you're new to photography.This link is about framing - what to have and almost more importantly what not to have in your photo.

http://www.weatherscapes.com/techniques.php?cat=general&page=composition

When you've read the section on composition go back and look at your photos and see how you can improve them for better viewing.  Eg. Maybe a two minute walk would have got you a much clearer view away from the houses.

Google these . Aperture-photography (I say 'photography' or you'll get the commercial company Aperture)  Google , shutter speed - ISO - white balance - cropping photos . I've had good advice on here myself so just shout up. If you have a question  google it too, the more info. you get the better.

Hope this helps..

Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:01:27 pm »

Scott, just to add, don't be afraid to put up your future images larger if you want. Up to 800 pixels wide is a great size for showing your images in the best way with greater detail. Some of those would really pack a punch at that size, they even look great that small!.

That mountain looks fantastic for photography.

John, good tips, I read through that link myself and found it helpful. The de-centering composition really took my fancy  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:57:41 pm »

thanks very much for the advice guys! im looking to invest in some decent gear, only have a standard digital camera at the moment, this is only the beginning! yes the mountain does have some good views but gets plagued by heavy fog alot of the time,, its definately going to be my vantage point for the summer storms! Maybe organise some sort of meeting there if the forecast is impressive?
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:58:07 am »

Let us know what gear you're looking at,Scott. I'm no expert myself but have a learnt a lot in the past 18 months and still learning and happy to take any constructive criticism and appreciate how good it is to have people who are happy to help .

Re. the fog on White mountain-don't forget that you'll get inversion and from the top you may be able to look down on the fog/cloud and that makes for a lovely photo. This usually happens when it's cold enough for frost sand we're not out of winter yet but if you can I'd get there at the next opportunity. Sorry I can't get to a meeting I live in Gloucester,England,but you never know one day. I've never been across  there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum