Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 11:28:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Weather Photo Opp - Wed March 4th (UK)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather Photo Opp - Wed March 4th (UK)  (Read 534 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2009, 12:02:17 pm »

Copied from the Ukweatherworld...

Weather is likely to be significantly photogenic across the UK on Wednesday 4th March, especially for the west and south.

Clear, clean, cold polar maritime airstream becoming established with sig instability, reasonable CAPE and potential cloud tops to 25,000ft plus. Showers/storms likely to develop, and form themselves into bands. Showers likely to be wintry with sig hail contribution from some.

Between convective activity, descending clean air likely to give excellent viewing conditions with clear vis and bright March sunshine.

Should be a good day to capture CB's, hail shafts, rainbows and perhaps later in the day, some sig Mamma displays. Wintry showers are especially good at producing fine Mamma displays.

Looking forward to seeing some fine takes later tomorrow in the photography forum.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:33:52 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:34:55 pm »

It's actually snowing here now.

Great convection around today, it almost looked Summer quality. Very good cu towers with boiling updraughts and rock solid cbs. Most of the hail fell as virga. No thunder here but the convection made up for that. Very strong sunshine too. Anybody else get much?
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:54:42 pm »

Hi Martin,
               Unfortunately i wasnt so lucky down in lisburn, was quite overcast most of the day up until mid afternoon and white mountain had a thick layer of fog on top of it so couldnt make the trip up to there. Kept my eye out all afternoon but most of the decent convection was far in the distance so there was no oppurtunity to capure any nice images. Glad you got some decent views! hopefully there will be more photo oppurtunities soon!
             Scott
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »

Sorry to hear that Scott, but not to worry there will be other days to come, in fact, although it's a little too early yet, I have my eye on Sat or Sun. More decent CAPE. I have a good feeling about the storms this year.

The amazing thing about the convection over Maghera today was that there was little if any radar signature. From looking at the radar it looked like a dud but outside it was a different story indeed. The best stuff stayed to the W and S though where some sferics detected. There where heavy hail showers up N. Looking forward to round 2.
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:12:38 am »

finally got the convection i was looking for! some nice towers visible in the morning sunshine and just got hit by a nice hail shower aswell, keeping my eye out for some nice mamma displays! il stick up some pictures if i can get some decent snaps!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:01:33 pm »

Great to hear it Scott and look forward to the images.  Smiley

We had a long duration intense hail shower there now which was quite impressive followed by one flash of lightning!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:38:32 pm »

There has been several more lightning strikes to the S of Lough Neagh. Anybody see anything?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum