Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:30:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Late Afternoon Convection - Feb 10th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Late Afternoon Convection - Feb 10th  (Read 427 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:43:34 pm »

I noticed a cluster of intense looking showers on the radar to the NW of N. Ireland but there was another which strayed from the herd and moved to the SW and passed near my area. The Sun was on the horizon and about to set. A large cb moved in and covered the SW to SE sky with a very long dark base which was extremely solild looking. The Sun caught the rear of the convection and turned the anvil a nice red colour. There was some mammatus present also. To the N was an overshooting top with a pink-coloured dome but I didn't get any images of this. The first cell looked great with a line of cu turning a strange blue colour over the snowy top of Slieve Gallion mountain as dusk fast approached.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:18:03 am »

Fantastic images Martin, great colors and the snowcovered mountaintop really sets it off. The second one really is impressive.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:45:22 am »

Thanks very much Richard. It was a nice and unexpected sight. Great to see some good convection so early in the year, and so far inland. Solar heating is already affecting the convective clouds, hopefully a sign of an interesting Summer to come. Keep up the Moonbow hunting, I bet you will catch a stunning example over the sea very soon.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:25:26 pm »

Very impressive Cumulonimbus!  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:28:24 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:06:30 pm »

Martin that second image is Great!  Roll Eyes putting me in the mood for storm season Lol
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum