Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:38:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Night Convection, Stars & Faint Moonbow - Feb 6th.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Convection, Stars & Faint Moonbow - Feb 6th.  (Read 1211 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:48:22 am »

Done a photo session before dawn on feb 6th between 03.00 - 04.00 UT. I was on the look out for Moonbows but the radar showed no showers in my area. I went out to the country and seen some good lines of convection moving in from the N. The highlight was a nice cb with respectable semi-solid looking updraught with a long anvil blown to the S. There was a compact flanking line behind it.

This cell produced a good shower of small hail mixed with snow flakes. I caught a very faint Moonbow as it decayed. Nothing spectacular, but it had colour with the naked eye. I included a contrast enhanced crop showing the bow with stars and comet Lulin as a faint grey smudge (arrowed). This was followed by more cu towers and orphan anvils.

The convection looked amazing lit pure white by the waxing gibbous Moon with the orange glow of distant lights catching their bellies and precip curtains. All images are 30 sec exposures at ISO400 using a 28mm lens at F/2.8. I hope to get better and more dramatic Moobows in the near future. I was also testing out several locations incase we get some night time t-storms this Summer.

More here..

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Night%20Convection%20-%20Feb%206th%202009.html

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:50:21 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:47:46 am »

Martin, Incredible! yet again you don't disappoint! I can't believe you spotted that moonbow, its soo dim! great work martin, you could send that one with Lulin's Position to spaceweather.
The convection is very cool too, I really would like to image some convection with lightning, while the stars are still visible Grin

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:09:01 am »

Fantastic images Martin, you really know how to catch these nightime displays.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:27:13 pm »

You are definitely my hero !!   Grin

You open us  (well me) up to another world with these middle of the night  observations and there you go catching more moonbows and even convection. Cracking photos, a joy to  view.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:11:39 pm »

Guys, thanks so much for the nice comments about the night convection and Moonbows. It was just one of those nights when everything came together and the sky showed off. The night sky and weather did all the work, I just took the images and hoped for the best!

Tyler, that's a good idea about SW, I might catch a more vivid example (with luck) soon which I might send in. I have learned over the last two nights that spectacular Moonbows don't like hail and snow showers. They are just too dim. Normal showers with large rain drops are the requirement for the stunning specimens. I have an idea in mind of the kind of bows I want to catch, and if I get the conditions there could be some great photo opps waiting but it's up to Mother nature at the end of the day.

Richard, many thanks for that. It's great to hear from you again!

John, I really appreciate your comments. As a convective person yourself I know you would like scenes like this. Let's hope for more. I had another session last night which had its ups and downs but I will post a few images later. Cheers  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 01:35:30 pm »

Let's hope for more. I had another session last night which had its ups and downs
Downs, downs & more downs. A bit of usable weather early in the evening, then gradually smaller holes in the cloud, fast moving so as to be completely useless, and not enough horizontal visibility to see anything of any vertical development in the clouds, except you could tell there was some by the occasional showers.

Northerly / north westerly winds, NBG for anything here.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:51:31 pm »

It was clear all night but we had really intense hail and snow storms which were brief but very powerful. Here's a few shots from last night...

Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:37:56 am »

I can only endorse the comments already made Martin. Viewing them in a dark room they look spectacular. I really like the contrasting cloud shapes and the sudden change to a dark blue, star-filled sky. Well done.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:23:50 pm »

Very nice images, Martin. I like your nighttime landscapes - they look like the daytime ones in poor light plus bonus - the starry sky  Smiley
The moonbow is a tough capture, but you did it!
The last two images with local storms are very impressive too.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 05:00:20 pm »

Thanks very much for the feed back Andy and Roman  Smiley. To take it to the next level I want to catch convection, stars, and lightning at the same time lol..I wonder if nature will oblige this year.

Here's a not so good Moonbow from the 2nd night. I contrasted and darkened the image to bring it up better. They are not impressive when they form on hail showers.

Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:21:34 am »

Martin, some amazing shots in there... Good work
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 04:51:43 pm »

Thanks very much John  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 11:14:27 pm »

Martin, it seems that moonbows in your area are quite common, or maybe in nebraska they are REALLY rare, but we don't usually have partly cloudy skies with showers, it seems that in Ireland thats all you get LOL. Great job capturing the moon bow from the hail/snow, that must be tough to do.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 06:30:59 am »

we don't usually have partly cloudy skies with showers, it seems that in Ireland thats all you get LOL.
Nope, usually it's solid cloud.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »

Having admired Martin's Moonbow images for many months now, last evening was my first concentrated search effort. With a moon just past full rising in the NE and some convective clouds over the Pacific, I stood oiutside on the porch in a 32 degree chill and was scouting the tree lined horizon. We don't have much flat country around the area so I may have to bite the bullet and take a drive next time. It's so easy to see the Moonbows in Martin's images, but yet so difficult to try and spot what you are looking for on your own. I never really did see anything because the moon was playing hide and seek in cumulus behind me. So I just decided to snap off a bunch of images and see what I come up with. I didn't even download the images until this morning and to my surprise I had a very, and I mean very slight Moonbow captured on several of them. At least now I tend to know what I am looking for. I tried to enhance the image somewhat to get it to show up more but to no avail. I'll just keep trying!

This image was taken about 7:30 pm local time 18mm 25 sec f/4 ISO 800

Very slight Moonbow in lower righthand corner of image. The more I stare at it the less I see it. Good luck!!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum