Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 11:35:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Meet the bane of my life

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the bane of my life  (Read 1273 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:03:46 pm »

Cheers,Martin.Yes, the old cat(it's the grey one ,Phoebe) does look well for that age.

Roman. Your dog has the features of the retriever/alsation...I think.. but it isn't is it - what breed or cross-breed is it.?.

I forgot to mention about Ben. When he was able to get out into the fields after his puppy injections he ran back  at me , I say at rather than to.. I expected him to go round me but he didn't, he crashed into my knee cap and split a fluid sac. My knee came up like a tangerene 4 hours later. I had to go to the hospital and was off work for 10 days.  On another occasion when he was about 5  he picked up Turkey bones that some well meaning but misguided person had thrown onto the grass verge for the foxes. It was Boxing day. I tried to get a bone out of his mouth (they splinter) I thought he was opening his mouth so that I could get it out but he just wanted to get a better grip and closed his jaw again..on my finger. The blood poured, the nail hung off and I had to get home quickly.  I went to the surgery and was given a tetanus injection.and anti-biotic tablets.    He takes things out of the washing basket (now) if we forget and leave it on the floor or on a chair at his mouth level and he chews them to destruction. I have many socks missing the other half and handkerchiefs seem to be a favourite. Taking him for walks was a nightmare until only the last 12 months as he's slowed down. He would run off and on some occasions I've had to go home without him ,then the phone rings and someone tells me he's with them. One summer's day he ran into a house ,they'd left the front door open, nicked their dog's toy and ran off with it - the lady was very good about it, fortunately.  I could go on and on - this is just a snapshot of the what I've had to put up with for 11 years. I was told by other retriever owners that this is what they are like-stupid  ,scatty and almost untrainable. They are supposed to have a life span of 12/13 years but does he look like he's going anytime soon ?? No..he'll go on for a few years yet - he enjoys driving me nuts too much Lol. If I don't take him out for a walk he 'tells' my wife when she comes home from work- she asks him and somehow he conveys to her that he hasn't been out that day.  Unfortunately everyone who meets him,he loves people,  he has no interest in other dogs, tells me what a lovely dog he is.. I tell them that they don't have to live with him.  Roll Eyes        
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum