Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 10:26:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Meet the bane of my life

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the bane of my life  (Read 1258 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:01:06 am »

Here is Ben. He causes me endless stress and does little I ask of him. He is forever wanting biscuits and each time a visitor call he expects them to get him a biscuit and he shows them where they are kept. He stands by the cats waiting for them 'not' to finish their meals . He barks to go out into the garden  just as Man-U or Arsenal are about to take a penalty. He barked at 0220 this morning to go out into the garden for a pee and a stroll round. You get the drift ?

Here he is. He's 11 years old. The grey cat is the 22/23 year old and he's blind. The monochrome cat (lol)  is 11 and I called her 'Freddie' after Freddie Mercury after he died. ( I think Queen were fantastic and I play their music on the piano/keyboard)  It wasn't the best position to take the photo but that's where she  decided to sit this morning. We have another cat - a Felix lookalike but he's  not one to pose for a photo op. though. lol. I'm really posting the dog because of the snow but then my wife asked me to photograph the grey cat because at 22/23 he could go at any time and we don't have many photos.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:06:10 am by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:19:10 am »

He barked at 0220 this morning to go out into the garden for a pee and a stroll round.
Was the sky clear? He wanted to look at the stars!
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:14:48 am »

But how could you get along without them? I agree, Queen was and still is on of my alltime favorite groups!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »

He barked at 0220 this morning to go out into the garden for a pee and a stroll round.
Was the sky clear? He wanted to look at the stars!

Lol. .he's barked at the full moon a time or two when it's been low and large.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »

Those are very nice images. I showed them to my Sister who really likes images of animals/pets. Ben is a beautiful dog and looks great in the snow. Freddie is like-wise a great looking cat and he looks very healthy for such an old age. I hope they enjoyed the snow.  Smiley

I had my dog out at 06.00 this morning and there was a full blown snow storm in progress. He slid, all four legs left the ground, and fell on the icy tarmac on the side of his jaw which took his full body weight. He was shaken but not too bothered by the encounter. Just shows that even agile dogs with four legs can fall in the snow!.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:16:12 pm »

They are very nice, John.  Smiley

My dog is much younger - he will be 3 years old very soon, and this photo was caprtured in April 2008.

Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 10:03:46 pm »

Cheers,Martin.Yes, the old cat(it's the grey one ,Phoebe) does look well for that age.

Roman. Your dog has the features of the retriever/alsation...I think.. but it isn't is it - what breed or cross-breed is it.?.

I forgot to mention about Ben. When he was able to get out into the fields after his puppy injections he ran back  at me , I say at rather than to.. I expected him to go round me but he didn't, he crashed into my knee cap and split a fluid sac. My knee came up like a tangerene 4 hours later. I had to go to the hospital and was off work for 10 days.  On another occasion when he was about 5  he picked up Turkey bones that some well meaning but misguided person had thrown onto the grass verge for the foxes. It was Boxing day. I tried to get a bone out of his mouth (they splinter) I thought he was opening his mouth so that I could get it out but he just wanted to get a better grip and closed his jaw again..on my finger. The blood poured, the nail hung off and I had to get home quickly.  I went to the surgery and was given a tetanus injection.and anti-biotic tablets.    He takes things out of the washing basket (now) if we forget and leave it on the floor or on a chair at his mouth level and he chews them to destruction. I have many socks missing the other half and handkerchiefs seem to be a favourite. Taking him for walks was a nightmare until only the last 12 months as he's slowed down. He would run off and on some occasions I've had to go home without him ,then the phone rings and someone tells me he's with them. One summer's day he ran into a house ,they'd left the front door open, nicked their dog's toy and ran off with it - the lady was very good about it, fortunately.  I could go on and on - this is just a snapshot of the what I've had to put up with for 11 years. I was told by other retriever owners that this is what they are like-stupid  ,scatty and almost untrainable. They are supposed to have a life span of 12/13 years but does he look like he's going anytime soon ?? No..he'll go on for a few years yet - he enjoys driving me nuts too much Lol. If I don't take him out for a walk he 'tells' my wife when she comes home from work- she asks him and somehow he conveys to her that he hasn't been out that day.  Unfortunately everyone who meets him,he loves people,  he has no interest in other dogs, tells me what a lovely dog he is.. I tell them that they don't have to live with him.  Roll Eyes        
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:26:08 pm »

I have many socks missing the other half
So have I, and I don't have a dog. The washing machine eats them.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:03 am »

Nice collection John.

Incidentally dogs can be useful with regards to seeing Lulin. I was reading a post on another of my astronomy forums where the poster had intended staying up to see the comet but fell asleep while watching a DVD. The next thing he knew was that it was gone 5am and that his oversized pooch was busy licking his face! As a result of the rude awaking, the poster was able to dash outside with his binoculars and was rewarded with a good view of the comet!

He barks to go out into the garden  just as Man-U or Arsenal are about to take a penalty.

Now that's what I call a smart dog!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:46:28 pm »

what breed or cross-breed is it.?.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Asian_Shepherd_Dog

I was told by other retriever owners that this is what they are like-stupid  ,scatty and almost untrainable.
My dog is also almost untrainable - it is particularly a feature of its breed - these dogs are smart, usually not very active, but they have a special sence of their own person - they don't like imperative commands from their owners, it is better to ask a dog to do something. If you aren't good friends with your dog - it can be agressive. But in our family's case (we had a dog of the same breed many years ago) - they are like teddy bears to owner, his family & friends, and like a horror to other people (especially they go mad when seeing somebody drunk).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:48:07 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 05:46:25 pm »

I was reading a post on another of my astronomy forums where the poster had intended staying up to see the comet but fell asleep while watching a DVD. The next thing he knew was that it was gone 5am and that his oversized pooch was busy licking his face!
I think I'd prefer to rely on an alarm clock.... Incidentally I find a kitchen timer useful when the weather is intermittently cloudy - set it for 15 mins and deliberately try to nap, check the sky when it goes off then either go & observe or reset the timer & nap some more ....
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 08:51:25 pm »

Cheers,Roman. It's quite a big dog I see. I read the Wiki. link...

I love those little gems of yours, Brian- had me in fits.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum